We currently have two (2) speech and language therapists who work in our Castletroy clinic. We also run an outreach clinic in Newcastle West. We offer a service to children and adults of any age with Down syndrome.
Our approach to therapy is linked to the client and family needs. Fortnightly or monthly therapy sessions are run concurrently with school terms on a one to one basis or through group therapy. Client progress and targets are reviewed on a regular basis. Parent and baby coffee mornings where parents can meet are facilitated by speech and language therapists. Parent and family training programmes and information evenings are also offered.
Where appropriate we run summer camps, adult training workshops, focus groups and issue publications with the help of adult service users.
Parents can opt to attend speech therapy sessions or view from an individual viewing station. Therapy can involve a multi-faceted approach such as using computer based programmes.
We target areas that are relevant to the client’s needs at the time, this could include:
- Speech & Articulation
- Oral Motor Skills
- Understanding of Language
- Expression of Language
- Social Skills
- Alternative and Augmentative Communication (e.g. Lámh signs, using pictures or objects to support communication)
- Communication skills relevant to school and supporting learning.
- Communication skills in relation to daily activities and involvement in the community.
- Liaison with school /work environments.
- School programmes.
- Pre-literacy skills.